How To Care For Grey Curls, Kinks & Coils
Hello, grey curls! Let's warmly welcome them to our spiralised strands and look after them. Although many people think that going grey is all doom and gloom, is it really as bad as we think it is? Some people cover their greys whilst other's embrace them - whatever your preference, it is still important to look after them (and it's not all doom and gloom, it's natural.)
What is grey hair?
We call it grey, silver or even white - but did you know that grey hair is in fact clear hair?! This is because 'grey' hair has no pigment & does not produce melanin in the cortex of the hair shaft.
Why is grey hair so fragile?
Due to the lack of pigment-making protein and melanin, grey hair is prone to much more damage from UV rays and external environmental factors. You may think that SPF is just important for skin health, but believe it or not, our curls (especially our greys) need it too! You can add a layer of protection daily to your grey curls with the help of our Hair Regrowth Serum!
Our fortifying blend of essential and carrier oils include great benefits for scalp and curl health:
- 10+ Antioxidant-rich oils instantly seal in moisture
- Protection from harmful UV rays and heat
- Effective protection from harmful UV rays and heat, such as straighteners and hair dryers.
Why are grey hairs so coarse?
Grey hair feels wiry, coarse & dry due to the reduced production of sebum from the hair follicles. A good stance to take to battle coarse curls is to implement a solid moisturizing regimen, like our Moisture Bundle or our Wash n' Slay Bundle.
You can also:
- Leave your conditioner on your curls for the maximum time recommended with a shower cap placed on top. The shower cap will promote heat from the scalp and help open up the cuticles in the hair shaft all for more moisture and hydration.
- Deep condition every other week or once a month.
- Use a leave-in detangler or our Curl Defining Cream as a daily moisturizer or our Magic Moisture Hair Butter to extra scalp and hair moisture.
Greys, silvers or clears - whatever you want to name them, own them! They are part of your natural journey and are streaks of wisdom, could we say? Care for your grey curls with the knowledge provided above and watch those gorgeous greys blossom! You've got this.
As always, stay humble and stay you,